In Italy, Laboratorio Rocce e Ricerca Tonon SRL is approved by ENAC (Ente Nazionale Aviazione Civile, Italian Civil Aviation Authority) for the commercial acquisition of aerial data by UASs (Unmanned Aerial Systems, also called “drones”).
One distinctive feature of our UASs is that we can accurately (1/2 in absolute accuracy) georeference pictures directly from the air, without having to place control points on the ground or structure. This is extremely valuable when it is difficult/dangerous/expensive to access the ground/structure to be modeled, including unstable slopes, large areas, high rock walls, hydraulic structures such as spillways, earthquake stricken areas and structures.
We own and operate:
- One octo-copter, which is ideal for vertical structures and/or where the take-off and landing area is restricted, and
- One fixed wing, which is ideal to cover large areas (e.g., 250 ha in one 35 min flight with 1 in resolution). This UAS has been certified by ENAC to be inoffensive; as a consequence, we can fly it over people, roads, urban areas, and infrastructures without evacuating the flyover areas and relevant buffer zone. In Italy there are a total of 7 UAS that can both accurately georeferenced the images from the air and are certified by ENAC to be inoffensive.
We acquire aerial data for the following services:
- 3D models textured with high resolution pictures
- Very high resolution pictures
- Rock mass characterization: fracture mapping, fracture sets, fracture spacing, rock block size, unstable blocks, rock mass classifications
- Documentation of construction activities: ortophotos, excavation and fill volumes, lift heights, etc.
- Quarry surveying with the calculation of excavation volumes, stockpile volumes, etc.
- Vigor index maps for precision agriculture or forest use, such as NDVI (Normalized Difference Vegetation Index)
- Documentation of plant conditions for agricultural or forest use including diseases, pruning, and leaf stripping