LABORATORY TESTS ON ROCK
This is our list of tests, please feel free to contact us at any time:
1b) Direct Shear Test (ASTM D5607): one specimen containing one fracture, 3 normal loads; peak and residual at each normal load: peak and residual shear loads, normal and shear displacements.
1c) Direct Shear Test at constant normal stiffness on a specimen containing one fracture in order to obtain the (shear stress)-(shear displacement) law under constant stiffness.
1d) Determination of normal and shear stiffness of a fracture (In addition to 1b or 1c / Independent test).
3) Uniaxial Compressive Strength with Static Moduli (ASTM D7012).
4b) Triaxial Test on rock core specimens without pore pressure measurements (ASTM D 7012) in triaxial cell with soft membrane (soft rock and/or low confinement). One Stage, one specimen.
5a) Consolidated/Undrained (CIU or CAU) triaxial test on rock samples with pore pressure measurement (ASTM D 4767) in triaxial cell with soft membrane (soft to medium hard rocks). One Stage, one specimen.
5b) Multistage Unconsolidated-Undrained Triaxial Test on intact rock or on specimen with a single fracture without pore pressure measurement in triaxial cell with soft membrane in order to determine the entire total stress failure envelope from a single specimen. One specimen.
5c) Multistage consolidated/undrained (CIU or CAU) triaxial test on rock samples with pore pressure measurement in triaxial cell with soft membrane (medium to hard rocks) in order to determine the entire failure effective stress envelope from a single specimen. One specimen.
8.3) Total Porosity of Rock, Includes Rock Pulverization (UNI EN 1936).
18.1) Thin Section Petrographic Analysis on competent rock (thin section prep., rock type, mineralogy, texture, crystal size, porosity type, percentage of constituent minerals and their Mohs scale hardness, weighted Mohs hardness, 2 microphotographs).
18.2) Thin Section Petrographic Analysis on non-competent rock (requires impregnation).
18.3) Thin Section Petrographic Analysis on soil (requires impregnation).
18.4) Determination of Equivalent Quartz Content (in addition to 18.1, 18.2 or 18.3).
8.5) Determination of Quartz Content in Soil Based on Visual Appraisal
19) Pulse Velocity & Dynamic Elastic Constants (ASTM D2845).
20) Mohs hardness tests, per specimen.
21) Vickers hardness tests, 5 indentations. (ASTM E 384 REV A) *
22) Shore Scleroscope test, 5 measurements (ASTM D2240) *
23.1) Axial Swelling Stress Test (ISRM Suggested Methods for Laboratory Testing of Swelling
23.2) Axial and Radial Free Swelling Strain (ISRM Suggested Methods for Laboratory Testing of Swelling Rocks 1999)
23.3) Axial Swelling Stress as a Function of Axial Swelling Strain (ISRM Suggested Methods for Laboratory Testing of Swelling Rocks 1999)
24) Huder-Amberg swelling test *
25.1) Bulk and Detailed Clay (<4 micron) X-ray diffraction (XRD) Analysis (soil, rock with supplement)
25.2) X-ray diffraction analysis to identify clay minerals for soil (soil, rock with supplement)
25.3) Bulk (Whole-rock) Only X-ray diffraction (XRD) Analysis (soil, rock with supplement)
26) Supplement for X-ray diffraction analyses on rock (includes grinding)
27) SCHIMAZEK Index (Antraquip)
28) Hydraulic conductivity of intact rock (one sample)
30.1)Sieve Analysis (ASTM D6913)
30.2)Hydrometer Analysis (ASTM D422)
31) Simplified geologic description
32) Determination of water absorption (UNI-EN 13755)
33.1)Determination of Frost Resistance, Test A, Flexural Strength (UNI-EN 12371 and 12372)
33.2)Determination of Frost Resistance, Test A, Compressive Strength (UNI-EN 12371 and 1926)
33.3)Determination of Frost Resistance, Test B, Identification (UNI-EN 12371)
34) Determination of flexural strength (UNI-EN 12372)
35) Absorption and Bulk Specific Gravity, on 5 cubes (ASTM C97)
36) Compressive Strength on 5 cubes (ASTM C170)
37) Modulus of Rupture on 3 points, 5 slabs (ASTM C99)
38) Flexural Strength on 4 points, 5 slabs (ASTM 880)
39) Supplement to Items 36-38 for 48 freeze and thaw cycles
42) Jar Slake Test (P. Santi, 1998)
44.1) Methylene Blue Index of Clay; on clay supplied by client (ASTM C837)
44.2) Methylene blue adsorption on rock, includes rock pulverization (ASTM C837)
45.1) Resistance of Coarse Aggregate to Degradation by Abrasion in the Micro-Deval Apparatus
(ASTM D 6928), on aggregate supplied by client
45.2) Resistance of Coarse Aggregate to Degradation by Abrasion in the Micro-Deval Apparatus
(ASTM D 6928) on rock, includes crushing
46) Mode I Fracture Toughness Using Cracked Chevron Notched Brazilian Disc (CCNBD) Specimens,
without displacement measurement (ISRM 1995)
47) Consolidation Test on Rock up to 38,000 kPa (ASTM D2435/D2435M, Method A)
consolidation and no pore water pressure measurement). Plots of: deviator stress vs cycles, axial strain vs cycles, stress vs strain, stiffness vs cycles, damping vs cycles.
49) Uniaxial Creep Test with Measurement of Axial Strain (ISRM Suggested methods)
50) Volumetric Thermal Expansion (20°C to 80°C) (Larsson 2001)
2028 E Ben White BLVD #240-2660• Austin, TX 78741